Lead is a naturally occurring element which can be toxic to humans and animals and can cause multiple health effects. Prior to 1978, numerous brands and types of paint had used lead additives in their formulas to accelerate drying, increase durability, maintain a fresh appearance, and resist moisture that causes corrosion.
Lead paint is hazardous and especially harmful to children and pregnant women, leading to numerous health and developmental issues.
Most lead-paint poisoning results from exposure to lead paint dust. Even if you don’t see any peeling paint, lead paint dust might still be present. Old doors and windows have painted parts that rub together and create dust, or there might be small amounts still present from a previous remodeling project.
Lead paint was banned in 1977 so there is a strong likelihood that homes built prior to 1978 could contain lead paint. There are more than 1.1 million homes in NJ built prior to 1978 many of which are concentrated in poorer, minority, urban communities.